There is nothing more relaxing and therapeutic than a massage. Francy Lema – a naturopath, acupuncturist, yoga, and Thai massage teacher – and a visiting specialist at Six Senses Spa in Al Bustan Palace, A Ritz-Carlton hotel talks about the benefits of massages and leading a holistic life.
How important are massages in our daily life?
It’s good to improve your immune system. Improve your serotonin levels to keep you happy. Move toxins in the body. Make this part of your lifestyle. Massages are not only when you have pain or when you have an hour free during your holidays. Make Wellness a part of your lifestyle. – body care ie; massage + exercise /nutrition /peace of mind including sleep.
Has the need to get therapeutic massages gone up owing to the current lifestyles of individuals?
Absolutely because people forget about their bodies. People are used to carrying pain in their lives as part of their natural lives but it’s not normal. More people are looking for more specific treatments to help with their conditions. Eg; if a person carries tension in their bodies for 3 months and books a Holistic Massage, the therapist upon finding knots or tension in the body, changes from a relaxing holistic treatment to a therapeutic treatment. These days, people are busy with social media, tv, instead of focusing on their wellbeing.
What are your suggestions to lead a healthy and emotionally balanced life in these fast-paced times?
- Find something that makes you happy eg; hobby.
- Share quality time with the people you care about.
- Eat healthy.
- Listen to your body, if your body asks for sleep then do it.
- Breathe with consciousness.
- Be present while you are doing something. Not in the future or past but here and now. (Eg; eating, showering, cleaning, cooking).
How often should an individual get a massage done?
- If you are carrying pain and tension, then once a week.
- If you are healthy, then once every 2 weeks.
Is there any particular type of massage one should opt for?
There are many techniques out there. However, I can elaborate on my treatments:
- Sea Mineral Magnesium massage – good for releasing tension, sleep, cramps, and constipation.
- Abdominal cleansing – good for tonifying the organs, improve digestion and move toxins out.
- Signature Therapeutic massage – focused to release chronic pain.